Popular hair salon replaced by butchery

Brett Castels lovely photo of Die Oog after the good winter rains.

Bad news for locals of Tokai
and regular UK visitors who
frequented The Set Up for
Hair when they came to the Cape
for a dose of sunshine. 

Osmond, who for 44 years has
owned this salon in the Forest
Glade shopping centre, closed her
doors permanently on Monday
August 31. 
In future the premises will be home to The Village
Butcher – ironic as a butcher was in
the modest complex in 1976 when
Theresa bought the salon from
sister-in-law Joanne Crowder.
When I came to live in Tokai
in 2001 I quickly gravitated to her
friendly salon for a good haircut
plus a good cup of coffee while
reading the latest royal gossip in
Hello! magazine. 
Over 19 years,
I became aware of the ups and
downs in the beauty industry so
when her business was closed from
the start of lockdown in March to
early June, her whispered words to
me on a shopping morning left me
in no doubt that she was desperately hoping her salon would soon
be allowed to re-open.
When that happened under
“advanced level 3 of Covid-19 lockdown” it came with a string of
conditions to limit hairdressers,
barbers, nail bars, tattooists and
body piercers from interacting with
Clients had to book in
advance instead of popping in, in
the hope of an appointment.
No coffee was allowed to be
served nor magazines left for
customers to enjoy. 
Yet business
owners like Theresa had to go the
extra mile with hygiene, sanitising
almost everything but the clients
themselves and keep a register of
their clients for traceability. 
Theresa is used to changes.
When, at 26, she opened The Set
Up on December 1, 1976 the only
other businesses on the site were
a little café and a butcher. 
there was a period when she and
pharmacist Steve Smith were the
only two shops next to the successful Spar supermarket. 
when it changed hands, went bankrupt and closed it was just Steve
and Theresa on the site from 1980
to 2010 before the premises were
bought and extended to the size
it is today. 
Throughout her 44 years, she
has had wonderful support from
her practical husband, Richard, in
keeping the salon fresh, modern
and up-to-date. But with her 70th
birthday coming up, she’s decided
to shut up shop and work from
Dam looks fine
I received a welcome tip-off by
email from Brett Castel, chairman
of the Friends of Die Oog, that the
good winter rains had transformed
the dam. What’s more, he included  some photos to show how lovely it
looked, adding that the bird life
had come back, and there had also
been some leopard toad activity. 
I was amazed at the images
because when I wrote about the
dam some months back, it looked
completely dry and not a thing
appeared to be alive. So I decided
to visit Die Oog to see for myself.
And Brett was right. 
The dam
looks great, and in the middle of
the water was a coot with its mate
swimming back and forth dutifully
ferrying more sticks for their nest.
I thought the dam was full, but
a friendly woman with two toddlers
enjoying the peaceful atmosphere
of Die Oog told me there was a
small dry part behind the island so
I went to look. 
Hopefully the good
rains we’ve had recently will do the
trick. If so, it will be a remarkable
change because, according to a
couple I met who have lived near
Die Oog for 40 years, the dam at
the end of this summer was the
lowest they’ve ever seen.
In memory
of Wesley
Motorists, cyclists and pedestrians
must surely have seen the tasteful
little memorial that appeared last
month on a small piece of open
ground at the corner of Tokai
Road and Brocker Way. 
It marks the spot where towtruck driver Wesley Cornwell was
killed on August 9, 2019 when his
car crashed into the solid white wall
around the dental premises of Dr
Jannie Meyer.
For some time after the accident, the spot was marked with flowers left by his loved ones. 
However, last month, on the first
anniversary of his death, it was
made more permanent. They have
marked out a small piece of ground
with pieces of cut wood, erected a
beautiful wooden cross with his
name and the two important dates
– that of his birth on 22-01-88 and
of his death. 
From the fading fresh flowers
on the ground it was apparent that
there had been a coming together
of his grieving family on that anniversary.
While it is not unusual to see a
memorial to a car-crash victim on a
national or a country road, I don’t
recall seeing one in the suburbs. 
I wondered what the routine
is. Do they have to get permission
from the city council?
I would hope there would be
some security for grieving families
that their memorial would at least
be safe from being demolished
provided they looked after the site. 
In northern Italy, it is quite
common on an afternoon walk to
come across a single grave in an
unexpected woody place. Mostly
the ones I saw were the victims of
WWII reprisals by the Germans for
supporting the allies.
Return to sender
Stupid me, I forgot how to throw
a boomerang, but then it suddenly
came back to me.