Four men robbed the Cell C store at Maynard Mall in Wynberg last Friday.
The men were unarmed, intimidating the store’s staff by pretending they had weapons, according to investigating officer Sergeant Frederick Abrahams.
The robbers took 13 cellphones worth more than R60 000, 15 dummy phones and R500 cash.
According to Wynberg SAPS spokesperson,
Captain Ntombi Lindipasi, the robbers entered the store at about 9.30am and ordered the manager to hand over phones and cash, which they put in a bag.
Police, mall security guards and members of the public chased the robbers, leading to the arrests of two suspects and the recovery of ten phones.
The suspects are 26 and 29 and both of them are from Philippi.
There has been a string of robberies at jewellery stories and cellphone shops
across the city in recent months.
Just over month ago, a jewellery store in Blue Route Mall was also robbed.
Five men – two of them carrying guns – raided Winhall & de Stadler Jewellers on Monday August 19, smashing display cases and grabbing the expensive contents.
Other robberies at malls include:
* Kenilworth Centre in Kenilworth and Cavendish Square in Claremont on Monday August 12
* Diamond Works in the City
* The Mount Nelson’s jewellery store on Tuesday July 16.
* Uwe Koetter Jewellers at the Cape Quarter Lifestyle Village in Green Point on Wednesday July 31.
* Van Deijl Jewellers at Tyger Valley shopping centre on Wednesday August 7.
If anyone has any information about the Maynard
Mall robbery,contact Sergeant Abrahams on 0725612261.