SA government denies deal with Russia

Government-owned Necsa has repeatedly committed itself to the nuclear build for many years and this is the exact figure that Russian officials cited in 2014 when they announced South Africa had agreed to buy reactors to that value. The South Africa government adamantly denied that a deal had been struck and has refused to provide a cost estimate ever since.

On April 6 Ms Joemat-Petterson announced in the Energy Portfolio Committee meeting that the next phase of the nuclear procurement process had been stalled indefinitely.

However, Ms McDaid, said we must not become complacent. “The court action alone will not solve this.

“We need everyone in the country to understand that it is not acceptable way to make decisions. South Africans need to put their hands in their pockets to help fund the court case if they want to make sure the wrong decisions aren’t made now,” she said.

Ms McDaid said the government was dragging its heels over the court case in a bid to throttle its finances but were prepared to take the battle to the Constitutional Court. They presently have close to R800 000 but if it goes to the Constitutional Court they will need more than R2 million.

“So we are really appealing to all South Africans to step up and help us, because we believe this is a key democratic issue, which all South Africans need to be concerned with.”

According to the court rules, May 13 was the day government was supposed to respond to civil society’s application to the high court, but failed to deliver their answering affidavits by this date.

Mr Naidoo is calling on all religious leaders to fight for clean energy, sun and wind, as provided by God.

He is calling on individuals to host events to fund the court case and to speak to people and create awareness against nuclear build.