President Cyril Ramaphosa’s announcement that lockdown restrictions would be relaxed to Alert Level 2 was welcomed by Mayor Dan Plato.
“We note the announcement by President Cyril Ramaphosa to move the country to adjusted Alert Level 2, which further allows the economy to open as the national vaccination drive continues to be rolled out”, Mr Plato said.
He added that statistics showed that those who had been vaccinated were experiencing greater protection against Covid-19 and that deaths and hospitalisations had significantly decreased.
The City has urged all residents to continue to adhere to regulations.
The amended regulations under adjusted Alert level 2 include:
- Curfew is from 11pm until 4am daily
- Non-essential establishments such as restaurants, bars and gyms may now close at 10pm to allow patrons and employees to travel home before curfew.
- The limit on the number of people allowed to attend gatherings has been increased to 250 people indoors and 500 outdoors, or 50% of the capacity of a smaller venue.
- Alcohol sales on-site resume as per license conditions.
- The sale of alcohol from retail outlets for off-site consumption will be extended to Monday to Friday, from 10am until 6pm.
- Public spaces such as beaches will remain open.
- Wearing a mask in public spaces remains compulsory under national lockdown regulations.