Wynberg schools keep mum over bomb threats

Wynberg Girls' and Boys' high schools received a bomb threat.

A media clampdown continues over bomb threats coupled with demands for cash from three schools in the Wynberg area,

Police have said no arrests have been made yet and it appears to have been a hoax.

Following a tip-off on Thursday July 19, the Bulletin emailed enquiries to all three schools and to contacts at some of the schools’ old pupils’ unions. Only Penny Boock, spokesperson for Springfield Convent, responded. She confirmed that Springfield Convent schools, Wynberg Boys’ High and Wynberg Girls’ High have received bomb threats and demands for cash to be delivered to a specified address on Wednesday July 18.

Subsequent requests for information were sent to the Wynberg schools but no response was received.

A letter sent to parents from Springfield Convent last week read: “A potential bomb threat was made to the school if a deposit of cash was not handed over at a mentioned address by 12 noon on Wednesday 18 July 2018.”

She said after much deliberation they decided, as a precaution, to close school on Tuesday and Wednesday July 17 and 18 to allow them to ensure the safety of their campus. “The safety of our Springfield community is our top priority so we were not prepared to compromise anyone. We brought in explosive detection sniffer dogs who found no explosives.

“We have increased our security and will continue to be vigilant at all times. We will continue to follow our security procedure and protocols. We are in contact with the SAPS and Hawks,” said Ms Boock.

Jessica Shelver, spokesperson for the Western Cape Education Department, said they do not report on or comment on bomb threats for security reasons.

Wynberg police spokesperson, Captain Silvino Davids, said the case was still under investigation and appeared to have been a hoax.

If you have information that can help in this investigation contact Captain Davids on 079 894 1470.

Tokai Junction Pick * Pay in Tokai was evacuated on Wednesday July 18 at 3.35pm after a bomb threat.

Kirstenhof police spokesperson, Sergeant Deidre Solomon, said no one was injured and a search was conducted by the bomb squad and dog unit but no bomb was found. She said no arrests have been made and anyone with information can contact Detective Captain Paul Alexander at 021 702 8900.