False Bay RFC pull off massive victory

False Bay RFC winger Danie Roux scored the winning try for his side in the dying seconds of the game against UCT at Groote Schuur at the weekend

picture: withers and son photography

The final score was 14-10 after the visitors lead 9-0 at the break.

It was a much-anticipated clash, doubling as a contest for the Mark Jordaan Shield.

The Ikey Tigers entered the contest unbeaten and there was more than a whisper that they would exit victorious. The “Green Mile” as it is affectionately known, can be a harsh environment for visiting teams.

The students played into the strong breeze in the opening stanza and their defence passed the test as they held their line intact during the first 40 minutes.

The Bay’s slender lead at the break came courtesy of three penalty kicks by flyhalf Siya Alem. The Ikeys, for pretty much the duration of the contest, lived life very close to the advantage line and the officials punished them accordingly in the first half.

Indeed on three successive visits to the UCT quarter, the Bay found themselves frustrated by the hosts’ penchant to ignore the advantage line when under pressure.

UCT’s primary source of possession was an impeccable lineout. Locks Gary Porter and David Melhuizen were immense, providing quality first phase possession and exerting pressure on the visitors own throw in.

The scrums were pretty even. Veteran prop Wesley Chetty never goes back and featured with ball in hand throughout the contest while hooker Cuan Hablutzel and prop Wayne Losper delivered quality performances.

False Bay were expected to run the ball in the second half, the wind dictating that pattern to a degree but also in an effort to exploit the lack of game time of the students.

A number of factors contrived to frustrate this plan. Firstly, UCT know these conditions better than others and were wise to any plans.

Countering these relied on competing for their opponent’s possession and restricting the fluidity of their play.

They achieved their objective, assisted by an inexplicable neglect of the advantage line which appeared to have faded in the twilight, making management of this area difficult for the officials.

The hosts lineouts impenetrable and a slew of penalties coming their way, they correctly opted to kick for touch for penalties, one of which was a perfectly executed drive from ensuing lineout which allowed Hablutzer to score off the back of the mall.

Flyhalf Michael Brink converted.

The Bay still lead, however, despite their frustrated attempts to escape their half.

This was to change with about five minutes of normal time to play when replacement back Vernon Petersen guided the ball between the posts with a well-executed drop goal.

False Bay upped their efforts on attack but were repulsed by sound Ikeys defence and as full time ticked over on the clock, it appeared as if the visitors would not pull this one out of the fire.

That is of course until wing Danie Roux got the ball with 40 meters to traverse and three defenders to elude.

He rounded his opponent Marcelo Sampson with ease and then dealt with the cover defence to give False Bay the lead, not necessarily victory as the referee’s optional time was still a factor.

Fortunately, the visitors hung onto that lead and bagged the victory, a Houdini-act of note.

False Bay host Uni-Mil at Constantia on Saturday. First games are at 1.30pm and the main game kicks off at 4pm.

Jon Harris is a member of False Bay RFC.