Woman dies in burning car crash

ER24 paramedics were dri- ving on Constantia Main Road when they saw a vehicle going down a bridge and embankment then catching alight at about 7.30pm on Saturday February 20.

ER24 spokeswoman Chitra Bodasing said the car went off the M3 onto Constantia Main Road and fell about 25m down an embankment. “This caused a tree to fall on the car. Paramedics went down the embankment and extricated the woman from the vehicle,” said Ms Bodasing.

The woman, believed to be in her 50s, was assessed and found to have sustained critical injuries. Paramedics began treatment, but the woman’s condition deteriorated.

“Despite all efforts to save her, she sadly died due to the severity of her injuries. The fire was extinguished by the tree that fell on the car. The cause of the crash was unknown and authorities were investigating,” said Ms Bodasing.

She said fire services were on the scene and the victim’s family have been informed.

* A two-year-old girl, Shariefa Hassan, is lucky to be alive after falling from a moving train at 6.36am on Monday February 22. It is alleged that the doors were open or unexpectedly opened as the train travelled between Plumstead and Steurhof railway stations.

The child, who was travelling with her mother, father and two siblings was rushed to Red Cross Children’s Hospital. Her condition is stable but she has a fractured skull and swelling on the brain and her spine is bruised.

Hospital spokesperson Angelique Jordaan said Shariefa sustained head injuries. “She is in a stable condition,” said Ms Jordaan.

Metrorail spokesperson Riana Scott said the matter is under investigation. “We will be able to respond cogently once the facts are confirmed,” said Ms Scott.

The mother and siblings received counselling at Diep River police station. No criminal cases were opened.

* On Monday February 22, an armed man entered the grounds of Plumstead High School and accosted two pupils while they were at the tuckshop.

Principal Craig George, said the man appeared under the guise of being there on business but had actually jumped over the fence. He said there are three access points to the school and they now intend closing two of them which will result in children and parents having a longer walk to get onto the property as well as causing more traffic congestion in the area.

Mr George said their CCTV did not pick up the man’s features. The incident was reported to Combat Force and Diep River police. Diep River police said no shots were fired and no one was hurt. The children received counselling at the school.

* On Monday afternoon February 22, a quick-thinking neighbourhood watch member alerted Diep River police and Combat Force security company of two suspicious looking men on the corner of Churchill and South roads in Plumstead.

The security company arrived on the scene first and followed the men while also informing the police who then arrested them and detained them at Diep River police station. The men were arrested for attempted robbery and one of them was wanted on outstanding cases.

* In an unrelated incident on the evening of Monday February 22, three men, one of them armed with a silver pistol, jumped over the counter of a shop on the corner of Churchill and South roads in Plumstead.

They instructed the owner to lie face-down and tied his hands behind his back with cable ties. The men, who spoke Afrikaans, took cigarettes, cellphones and cash. No shots were fired and the owner was not injured

Anyone with information on these crimes can contact Diep River police at 021 710 7388.